|Italian Honey Balls, called Struffoli|
Let's get started with this Italian dessert, my Struffoli Recipe!
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups honey
- Candied fruit and citrus peel
- Multi-colored Nonpareils
- Sliced Almonds
- You will also need vegetable oil for Deep Frying
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- I use a Kitchen Aid Mixer for this with a dough hook. Beat the eggs with your mixer and add the flour/salt mixture while pulsing the mixer. Then, mix until a well blended dough forms.
- Mix (knead) in you mixer a few minutes, until the dough is smooth. If the dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it back into your mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for about a half hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll one piece into a ½ inch diameter rope, using your hands.
- Cut the rope into ½ inch sections
- Heat up your oil in a fryer, (use a fry baby if you have one). Once heated up, fry up enough at a time as not to over crowd them while frying. It should take about 2 minutes to fry to a golden brown.
- After all of the Struffoli are fried, set them aside and heat up the honey in a sauce pan until it starts to simmer.
- Remove the honey from the heat and add the Struffoli to the pan and gently stir well to coat all of the Struffoli with the hot honey.
- On your serving plate, pile up the Struffoli into a Struffoli mountain and decorate it with the nonpareils sliced almonds and candied fruit.